Therapy, also commonly referred to as Psychotherapy or Counseling, is the process in which an individual, family, or couple meets with a therapist to address problematic behaviors, beliefs, feelings, or relationship problems.
Therapy is based on decades of research and intended to help address problems by increasing knowledge about the self, helpful and unhelpful routines, and relationships.
Therapy can provide skills and techniques to help people improve their overall well-being, increase life satisfaction, and reduce distressing symptoms. If you or a loved one has been experiencing depression, anxiety, trauma, or going through a life transition, therapy can help.
How Does Psychotherapy Work?
Psychotherapy is a collaborative treatment based on your goals. It is commonly referred to as “talk therapy” since it focuses on open communication in a nonjudgmental, supportive setting. Therapists are not simply skilled listeners; they are also well-versed in detecting unproductive patterns of behavior and thinking, as well as how to change them.
What Type of Problems Can Be Addressed with Psychotherapy?
We offer treatment for a wide range of concerns. Here are some of those most treated at Urban Counseling Collective:
- Anxiety and panic disorders
- Social anxiety
- Relationship conflict
- Bipolar disorder
- Chronic disease management
- Life transition
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Stress and burnout
How Do I Know If I Need Psychotherapy?
Given that we all feel sad, stressed or anxious at various times, it can be difficult to know whether your experience calls for professional intervention. Unfortunately, too many people who would receive help do not seek treatment. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), only 46%-65% of those who suffer from moderate to severe mental health issues get treatment. Here are some questions to ask yourself when considering whether seeing a provider could be helpful:
- Have you felt overwhelming sadness for a prolonged period?
- Do you feel stuck? Have you not been able to move past your current problems, despite help from friends and family?
- Is it difficult to concentrate and fulfil your day-to-day responsibilities?
- Do you constantly worry?
- Is your use of alcohol, drugs or other vices harming you or your relationships with others?
- Do you notice that you keep getting into the same types of relationships…that don’t work?
- Do you want to understand yourself on a deeper level?
How Effective is Psychotherapy?
Countless studies have proven that psychotherapy can help people make positive changes that improve their relationships, performance at work or school, and overall quality of life. At Urban Counseling Collective, our goal is to help you gain a deeper understanding of yourself and develop practical skills to help you manage your unique struggles, as well as guide you through life’s inevitable ups and downs.
Urban Counseling Collective specializes in the following areas:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Solution focused therapy
- Positive psychology
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Individual, Family, & Couples Counseling